Thursday, February 6. 2020
- A Red Squirrel’s gestation period is 36 to 40 days long. One litter can vary from 1 to 8 young.
- Baby squirrels are called pinkies because they are hairless and their skin is pink in colour when born.
- They are deaf and blind when born. Baby Red Squirrel’s eyes typically don’t open until 27 days of age.
- At one to two weeks their skin will begin to gain colouration as their fur starts to come in.
- Red Squirrels aren’t always a full red colour, they can have a grey-brown or a rusty red colour to them.
- Red Squirrel’s tails measure only about 10cm.
- Red Squirrels don’t hibernate throughout the winter.
- Although significantly smaller in size, Red Squirrels, in my opinion, are much more destructive than Raccoons or Grey Squirrels.
- Red Squirrels store an abundance of pine cones and black walnuts in the attic. This means they can stay inside the attic for prolonged periods of time during the colder months without ever leaving.
- Red Squirrels love to burrow into the insulation where all your electrical wires are normally hidden to raccoons and the larger Grey Squirrels.
- By tunnelling into the insulation, they create holes, causing easy passage for the buildings heat to escape through the insulation. This would result higher electrical bills for heat in the winter and for air conditioning in the summer.
(Page 1 of 1, totaling 1 entries)